You don't have to know how to cook in order to cook

If I had waited till I knew what I was doing before I tried cooking something, I'd have been even skinnier than the 80's expected me to be. As it was, I had a penchant for eating, not much in the way of money and a never dwindling case of the munchies that led me (and my friends) to eat - well, nearly anything really.
Thus began my journey of trial and error.
These days I'm a fuller figure than way back then, and the munchies come from prescription medication. Although money doesn't have the driving influence of the heady days of poverty-induced vegetarianism, I can find myself still cooking up a lentil meal just because I like it.

There was nothing like being desperate for a pancake at 11pm at night to help you figure out what you can substitute for eggs, milk and sometimes even flour...

Friday 24 May 2013

Sometimes there's just no time to cook

I know this, you know this.. suddenly it's food o'clock and there is no food being dished out: there is no aroma tantalising your tastebuds: you haven't even entered the kitchen or opened the fridge.

Is it time to opt out and dial-a-dinner? Absolutely not! (unless you feel like dial-a-dinner, in which case go right ahead...).  There is another way that doesn't necessarily mean inordinate amounts of time spent cooking, or for that matter cooking at all.

I want to know who said we have to have dinner at dinner time?  I've yet to get the name and number, or even era of the person who said dinner must be hot and substantial (probably somebody who had their meals cooked for them).

I have 2 healthy grown sons - both over 25.  Solid, strong and both keen on their food.  I'm going to let you in on a secret:

Sometimes we didn't eat cooked dinners.

Sometimes we didn't eat uncooked breakfasts either, but that's another story.  What I'm concentrating on here is the need to ingest hot food in the evening.  There isn't one.  We do it out of habit.  

so before you resign yourself to cook something when your heart's not in it, or worse - to buying take away, here is a list of uncooked meals that will sustain you and your family throughout the evening, and well into the next day and breakfast time:

Chopped up fruit (yes, really truly) & Yogurt served with Couscous or rice (anything you pay over $14 for in a cafe has to be ok for dinner)




Go all hog and give everyone 2 mangoes each.  That's so decadent! Make out you're stranded on a tropical island.  Add some bananas, pawpaw and mint.  Put some sultanas and chopped apple or pear in, and this fruit salad has just won an award for its looks alone.  No washing up!!  Still not sure about it?  Check these out:  

Groovy Fruit Salad
Ingredients 
  • Diced avocadobananagrapefruitorangepapaya, and Pear
  • chopped, crushed mint leaves
  • 1 cup grated coconut
  • Sugar (optional) - because it's dinner, perhaps we should opt out of this ingredient
  • honey (optional)
Directions 
Peel and remove seeds from the fresh fruit as necessary, cut fruit into bite-sized pieces. Combine all fruits in a glass bowl. Add the mint leaves, some sugar and water. Stir gently. There should only be enough liquid to coat the fruit.
Cover the fruit salad and allow it to stand for a half hour before serving. Top withgrated coconut immediately before serving     


Pankcakes:  I know - it's almost cooking (ok, it is.. but such little cooking). With pancakes the world is your oyster:  You can go sweet or savoury; plain or wildly exorbitant.  Ocassionally we contest each other in our kitchen to see who can put the most added extras in the pancake mix and still be able to flip it!  Try flipping a savoury pancake with nuts, bacon and zucchini in the batter mix! or a sweet pancake mix with a whole packet of Trail Mix* dumped in the batter.  That's just the batter, you then get to add a filling - from jam or chopped fruit & cream for a sweet filling through to asparagus spears or shallots and sprouts (with or without any sauce you feel like).  Pancakes should never be slotted into daylight hours alone.  They were always the perfect evening snack when you had run out of chocolate or ice cream.
Here is a link to the perfect savoury pancake recipe starter....
http://www.nibbledish.com/people/Laynie/recipes/savoury-pancakes#blogthis_toggle


I'm not finished with my notions of uncooked and semi-cooked dinners. There is no end to this notion of what to eat when you don't feel like cooking:  I will come back to this as I move along and add them as they come to mind (and stomach)


No comments:

Post a Comment