You don't have to know how to cook in order to cook

If I had waited till I knew what I was doing before I tried cooking something, I'd have been even skinnier than the 80's expected me to be. As it was, I had a penchant for eating, not much in the way of money and a never dwindling case of the munchies that led me (and my friends) to eat - well, nearly anything really.
Thus began my journey of trial and error.
These days I'm a fuller figure than way back then, and the munchies come from prescription medication. Although money doesn't have the driving influence of the heady days of poverty-induced vegetarianism, I can find myself still cooking up a lentil meal just because I like it.

There was nothing like being desperate for a pancake at 11pm at night to help you figure out what you can substitute for eggs, milk and sometimes even flour...

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Simple - as in easy, but tasty - as in divine - lemon yogurt cake

This cake was one of the cakes that made me think I could bake - long before I got how easy it was!!

Lemon Yogurt Cake        Donna Hay making this cake look even simpler



Here's the ingredients:  AND YOU CAN MAKE IT ALL IN ONE BOWL!!

    • Then add the lemon juice, yogurt (most times, if I have a small tub of yogurt - yes, Greek is the best, I just add the whole thing straight from the container - no room for precious here, you can't have too much or too little) and the sugar.....

      Mix it all up till it's sloppy and smooth.

      Add the flour (sifted)

      Stir, stir, stir

      Put the gorgeous, creamy concoction into any old baking tin you have (for safety's sake kill the tin with spray - or grease it the old fashioned way... but don't take chances - you want it beautiful when all is said and done)


      Look how smooth and creamy it is - and how much I fit into this tiny ring tin?  It's all good.

      Bake:  180deg for 35 minutes - I tried 30, it didn't work. Stick to the preheated oven for 35minutes

      While it's cooking, stir together the sugar and lemon juice

      Tell your captivated audience that this may take a while....

      handle their disgust at the wait

      When the cake is cooked, there is no need to wait - take it out of the tin, put it on a plate and pour the icing mixture over it.  If you use granulated sugar (like Donna Hay), it'll look interesting, but taste the same.




      EAT IT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment