You don't have to know how to cook in order to cook

If I had waited till I knew what I was doing before I tried cooking something, I'd have been even skinnier than the 80's expected me to be. As it was, I had a penchant for eating, not much in the way of money and a never dwindling case of the munchies that led me (and my friends) to eat - well, nearly anything really.
Thus began my journey of trial and error.
These days I'm a fuller figure than way back then, and the munchies come from prescription medication. Although money doesn't have the driving influence of the heady days of poverty-induced vegetarianism, I can find myself still cooking up a lentil meal just because I like it.

There was nothing like being desperate for a pancake at 11pm at night to help you figure out what you can substitute for eggs, milk and sometimes even flour...

Saturday 1 June 2013

The versatile Potato

I had no green vegies to add to our buffalo steak dinner (!!) so I googled 'potato', culled by necessary and available ingredients (here's where keeping sour cream and cream in the fridge is always advantageous) and came up with these cute little individual potato bake numbers:

Here's the ingredients:
* a little oil for the ramekins
* 1 or 2 potatos - sliced wafer thin
* half an onion - sliced thinner than a        wafer
* 1 or 2 garlic cloves minced
* black pepper & salt
* some cream (either/or)
* some cheese
* some savoury herb from your garden (I chose rosemary; but basil, sage or oregano or thyme are all excellent)

Then I oiled the dishes; put in a layer of potato, followed by a layer of onion, then some garlic... repeat until you have a ramekin full of potato goodies.  Put the salt n peppa, cream and maybe any left over garlic in a jug (just enough mix to cover the potatos in each ramekin - maybe 3/4 - 1 cup all up).  You could also add some grated cheese but I put a slice of cheese on top of each dish.  Now just pour the mix over the potatos, pop them in your pre-heated 200/400 degree oven and cook them till they're brown on top and soft in the centre - I'm going to try half an hour and get back to you.

35minutes later:



THEY WERE STUPENDOUS

The Buffalo Steak wasn't

No comments:

Post a Comment